Board Watch: New Office Space for HHMD; Funding the Lifeguard Division

By November 18, 2016LACoFD News
County Logo

by Pearl Castillo

County LogoAt its regular meeting on Tuesday, Nov. 15, the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors approved an amendment to a lease for a Fire Department facility at 5200 Irwindale Ave. in Irwindale and amended the County’s Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the Fire Department for the Lifeguard Division.

The amendment to the existing eight-year agreement lease with Thrifty Oil Co. increases the leased area from 5,400 square feet to 7,422 square feet of office space and adds 30 on-site parking spaces. The additional space will allow the Fire Department’s Health Hazardous Materials Division (HHMD) to relocate its field office in El Monte. Under the amendment, the space will cost the Department $79,747 per month, with a maximum first year rental cost of $300,687. Rental rate is subject to a fixed 3 percent annual rental increase over the term. Additionally, the Internal Services Department will acquire telephone data and low voltage systems for $98,000 to be paid via lump sum.

In other news, the amended MOU between the County and the Fire Department clarifies the historical fiscal sharing ratio between the County general fund and the Fire Department for the Lifeguard Division.  The County will be responsible for 70 percent of the Lifeguard Division’s operating cost; the Fire Department will be responsible for the remaining 30 percent. Additionally, the Board approved a Fiscal Year 2016-2017 base transfer of $33.3 million in County general fund to the Department. This amount will be adjusted annually.

The MOU’s initial term will last 10 years. It will be automatically extended unless action is taken by either party to terminate the agreement, which can occur any time with 30 days prior written notice. For specifics, see pages 2-3 of the MOU.