Eleven members of the Los Angeles County Fire Department, along with several sheriff’s deputies, were recognized by the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors during the Board’s regular meeting Tuesday, Sept. 29.
Mayor Michael Antonovich commended the public safety personnel on the rescue of a 2-year-old girl who nearly drowned in a Castaic community pool on Aug. 1. Deputies were the first to arrive and began providing aid and CPR; Engine 149 and Squad 149 arrived shortly after and took over treatment.
Engine 76 personnel prepared a helicopter landing zone for Copter 19, which airlifted the patient to an area hospital. The girl was released several days later with no injuries.
“I think the outcome of this incident is an indicator of the training and collaboration between the L.A. County Fire Department and the Sheriff’s Department,” Fire Chief Daryl Osby said. “We are so happy that we had a successful outcome.”
The following firefighters were honored:
- Fire Captain Patrick Long
- Fire Captain Guinto Renato Jr.
- Fire Fighter Specialist Jason Leslie
- Fire Fighter Specialist Sean Macnicoll
- Fire Fighter Paramedic Kevin Applegate
- Fire Fighter Paramedic Francis Baker
- Fire Fighter Paramedic Michael Dubron
- Fire Fighter Paramedic Jeff Duran
- Fire Fighter Paramedic Chad Pisors
- Fire Fighter Jake Monnette
- Pilot Michael Sagely
Featured photo: The Board of Supervisors commends members of the Fire and Sheriff’s departments for their rescue of a toddler in Castaic. Photo courtesy Los Angeles County Office of the CEO.