LA County Fire Department Fuel Modification Headquarters
605 N. Angeleno Ave
Azusa, CA 91702
Office Hours: 8am to 4pm M- Th for plan submittal and general questions. Plan checkers are also available by appointment.
Online Fuel Modification submittal now available.
New Fuel Modifications Guidelines (Notes) must be adhered to by January 1st 2020.
(Plan notes may be found under General Fuel Modification section below).
For further inquiries/communication please email ForestryFuelModification@fire.lacounty.gov
The Fuel Modification Unit is responsible for the approval of a landscape plan for structures located in the Fire Hazard Severity Zones. The process of approval consists of reviewing aspects such as structure location and type of construction, topography, slope, amount and arrangement of vegetation, and overall site settings. Our objective, through this approval plan process, is to create defensible space necessary for effective fire protection of homes in the Fire Hazard Severity Zones.
General Fuel Modification Process
- Submit plan and site photographs online here: https://arcg.is/1njKey. Plans can still be mailed to address on pdf application form by clicking here.
Click here to review plan notes to include on the plan.
- Project will be reviewed. Approval, corrections, and/or associated documents will be returned via email to applicant contact.
- Site inspection will be conducted upon completion of landscape install.
Fuel Modification Resources and References
- Combustibility of Landscape Mulches
- Plant Selection Fuel Modification Guidelines
- Plant Right
- Theodore Pyane Foundation
Woolsey Rebuild Information
The Fuel Modification plan consists of Zones A, B and C. These Zones are drawn as concentric circles around each structure. Zone A extends from the outermost edge of the structure or appendage outward to 30 feet. Zone B extends from the edge of Zone A outward to 70 feet. Zone C- Extra Hazard- extends 100 feet outward from the edge of Zone B for a total distance of 200 feet from structures.
Frequently Asked Questions
One set of detailed landscape plans (drawn to architectural/engineering scale) which must include:
- All proposed structures.
- Fuel modification zones delineated around structures (new or remodeled) to property boundary.
- All proposed and existing planting to remain (draw at 75% maturity).
- All plants labeled by scientific name (Genus, species).
- Fuel modification plan notes printed on plan (see website above).
- Scale bar
- Parcel number
- Property address
- Directional arrow
In Person / Drop off: 5801 S. Eastern Ave, Suite 130
Commerce, CA 90040
Mail: Attention: Financial Management Division
County of Los Angeles Fire Department
P. O. Box 910901
Commerce, CA 90091-0901
Fees are based on Type of structure, number of structures and square footage. These fees are assessed after the plan has been submitted.
After the plan has been approved, fees paid Covenant and Agreement received and the landscape installed, please call the Fuel Modification Unit at (626) 969-5205 to schedule an onsite inspection.
Our goal is to review your plan within ten business days (depending upon volume).
All correspondence is sent to the contact listed on the application