LA County Fire Department Fuel Modification Headquarters
605 N. Angeleno Ave
Azusa, CA 91702
Office Hours: 8am to 4pm M- Th for plan submittal and general questions. Plan checkers are also available by appointment.
The Fuel Modification Unit is responsible for the approval of a landscape and irrigation plan for structures located in the Fire Hazard Severity Zones. The process of approval consists of reviewing aspects such as structure location and type of construc-tion, topography, slope, amount and arrangement of vegetation and overall site settings. Our objective through this approval plan process is to create defensible space necessary for effective fire protection of homes in the Fire Hazard Severity Zones.
Fuel Modification Qualifying Conditions
- Must be within the High Fire Hazard Severity Zone
- Must be New Structure or an addition that is equal to, or greater than 50% of the existing square footage
- For complete conditions please see LA County Fuel Modification Code.
General Fuel Modification Process
- Submit two (2) copies of Landscape plans, a (1) set of color photographs, with Application Form, with signed Plan Notes and plan.
- Project will be reviewed. Approval/Corrections/ Associated documents will be returned to application contact for the follow-up.
- Site inspection, for occupancy, upon completion of landscape install.
The Fuel Modification plan consists of Zones A, B, and C. These zones are drawn as concentric circles around each structure ex-tending to the property line. Zone A extends from the outermost edge of the structure or appendage outward 20 feet, Zone B extends from the edge of Zone A outward 80 feet, and Zone C extends from the edge of Zone B outward 100 feet.
Fuel Modification Resources and References
- Suggested Plant List
- Plant Selection Guidelines by Zone
- Developer Fuel Modification Process
- Fuel Modification Submittal Application and Checklist
- List of Fuel Modification Consultants
- List of Oak Tree Consultants
- Fuel Modification Plan Notes
Frequently Asked Questions
Please see the Submittal Form checklist and example plans on the website.
Plans can be mailed, or dropped off Monday-Thursday from 8a.m.-4p.m.at the following location:
ATTENTION: Fuel Modification
605 N. Angeleno Ave
Azusa CA 91702
In Person / Drop off: 5801 S. Eastern Ave, Suite 130
Commerce, CA 90040
Mail: Attention: Financial Management Division
County of Los Angeles Fire Department
P. O. Box 910901
Commerce, CA 90091-0901
Fees are based on Type of structure, number of structures and square footage. These fees are assessed after the plan has been submitted.
After the plan has been approved, fees paid Covenant and Agreement received and the landscape installed, please call the Fuel Modification Unit at 626-96-5205 to schedule an onsite inspection.
Our goal is to review your plan within ten business days (depending upon volume).
All correspondence is sent to the contact listed on the application